Friday, July 21, 2006

If It Looks like a Duck: Leaving the nest

Also during that seminal time at Duck Soup during 1974, I had the pleasure of meeting animator Arnie Wong for the first time. I remember Arnie was working on a "Shamu the Whale" spot for Sea World. He along with Corny Cole were the first of a breed of "surfing animators", which struck me as rather cool. With my animation scenes tucked under my arm, I would ride the bus from Malibu and skateboard down Main street through Dogtown to Duck Soup. Duane Crowther was cool enough to shoot my stuff at the tail end of Duck Soup commercial pencil tests.

I later would work for Arnie Wong's Santa Monica studio called Tigerfly in the 80's. Arnie was famous for doing surf cartoons and trippy commercial animation like this "Bubblicious" spot...


At Duck Soup I learned quite a bit about classical character animation, while later at Arnie's Tigerfly, special effects animation was the door that was opening up for me. I also was given more responsibility in handling jobs all the way through. In 1984, Arnie was eagerly in pursuit of producing an animated feature featuring the artwork of French fantasy illustrator, Moebius. The project was called "Internal Transfer". We did produce a 3 minute promo piece as seen in the second part of this clip here...


Unfortunately "Internal Transfer" was not produced, but 24 years later, Arnie and Moebius realized thier dream and produced the feature "Thru the Moebius Strip".


Until next time...

No comments: